A New Fix for an Old Problem
So you have a clogged drain. You can’t take a shower without the water rising above your ankles before you get out. The slow draining is leaving your tub dirty and stained. You’re just about ready to go get some Draino from Meijer on Westnedge Avenue in Kalamazoo….
Not so fast! You probably already have everything you need to clean that drain in your kitchen.
Walk into your kitchen, pull out the vinegar and baking soda, and let’s unclog that drain!
- First, pour a pot of boiling water into your clogged drain.
- Now, scoop 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda into the drain.
- Let sit for five minutes.
- Next, pour a solution of 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water down the drain.
- Almost done. Our next step is to cover with a drain plug (if you have one) and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Finally, rinse with another pot of boiling water.
And voila! You’ve got a clean drain!
Wait, What Just Happened?
When you add acid to a base (never add a base to acid!!) like you did when you added the acidic vinegar to the alkaline (or base) baking soda, you get a very powerful chemical reaction that rocks sludge and debris off of your drainage pipe. All those bubbles that came out of your drain went to work so you didn’t have to!
Why Wouldn’t I Just Use Draino?
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that many liquid plumber drain cleaners are highly toxic and very corrosive. Over time, they will wear down your drainage pipe, causing cracks and eventually leading to water damage. Using vinegar and baking soda is a great way to avoid this and treat the environment correctly by using a much less toxic method.
My Drain is Still Clogged….
Well, shoot. That didn’t work? Not a good sign. You’ve probably got more than just the run of the mill clogged drain and it’s time to call a plumber.
If you have a clogged drain in Kalamazoo, call us today for a free estimate!